Monday, July 11, 2011

Stripping....

Many of you may remember that I cut mounds and mounds of 2 1/2 inch strips from scraps I had accumulated from various and sundry projects over the years.  Anything that was the full width of the fabric was game!  I decided Friday at Marcia's was the place to try some different configurations to find a scrap quilt that I liked.  I decided I would work with 10 inch blocks which meant sewing five strips together into a set.  In most cases I just had one or two strips of the same color.  This configuration works well if you can make a whole bunch of strips sets.  You make the components by dividing the strip into 10 1/2 in segments and then chopping those segments up by diagonally cutting.  You get two different kinds of pieces resulting.  I had first cut them just diagonally once but didn't like them at all and couldn't seem to do anything interesting with them.
This is one of the iterations using the 1/4 blocks that would be on the top and bottom of the strips.



This uses the top and bottom 1/4 square triangles sewn together along the longest seam.  The blocks are surrounded by black triangles on the right and white on the left (hard to see).
Here is another iteration.  This became my favorite.  It uses the side 1/4 block cuts.  It is hard to see but there is white triangles between the pieces on the right and of course black on the left.  I thought perhaps I would try some other colors as well.  I will be able to put together the strips and then do a quilt as  you go technique to put together the final pieces.  These will all be donated eventually as comfort quilts although I may make a couple of the beach house.
I didn't like this iteration at all as I thought it made the white triangles look too dominant.
This is the latest version of Priscilla's second leaf piece.  You will note that she has added some "after the fact" coloring to some of the fabrics -- this definitely takes courage!  She has begun the machine quilting and it is looking quite dazzling.

Marcia, on the other hand, was taking her pieces off the wall so frequently to sew them together that I didn't get a picture yet of her latest jet trails!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beth, it looks like you and blogger editor have made peace! All your text lines up with the pictures in my browser!

Judy Warner said...

I like your favorite pick too, Beth. Someone will be very lucky to receive the finished version through Comfort Quilts. Great idea for random leftovers too!
Judy