Friday, July 1, 2011

Most of the Machine Quilting is FINALLY Done -- Lions Emerge

Well, I finally finished most of the machine quilting on the whole piece. It has taken more time than any other quilt that I have ever made and I am not totally satisfied with it. I still want to do a little more dense stitching in some places to add a little more definition but I am not going to go crazy. I may also add a bit more of the light green along the top but this cropped version doesn't look bad even cutting off some of the male lion's head, so may not after all.


This is a little bit of a closeup so you can see the stitching a bit better. Oops, see a thread that needs to be cut. Trimming the threads on the back took three hours the other night and now there is a bunch more to do! And I only have one more Midsomer Murders dvd to watch.. Oh dear....

This was a bug in the garden and right off hand can't identify him but looks like it should be pretty easy with a little detective work - six legs so he must be an insect.

Now I just have to do some work to get all three of my projects fully complete.

Next Thursday, I am doing a demonstration at RAFA and leading a small group in doing some monoprinting with thickened MX dyes so have to get prepared for that. Bought some new dyes for the first time in a long time this week and prep'ed the fabric today. So maybe there will be some dyeing to report on soon! The nice thing about the techniques is that they are just as applicable for paints!

4 comments:

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I believe your bug is a Damselfly... similar to a dragonfly... I like to use http://www.whatsthatbug.com/ for identifications.

Camilla said...

Ebony Jewelwing, I think:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/601

Beth Brandkamp said...

I do believe both Beth and Camilla are right!!! Thanks, guys. I had gotten as far as damselfly but couldn't find a good source to search more!! So Ebony Jewelwing Damselfly it is!!

LilyPetherick said...

Your lions are amazing!
I especially love the quiet grace of the female lion in gray. She's like a silent presence next to her bristling mate.

http://dddottt.blogspot.com/