Thursday, July 28, 2011

When George Lets Me, I Do Some Piecing....

George was actually behaving in this shot and giving me a few inches to work.  The minute DH leaves the house, George bounds up to the sewing room and won't stop pestering me  until I pick him up and put him on my shoulder where he purrs and rubs and literally puts his paws around my neck.  He will keep this up for half an hour and won't hear of being put down.  Eventually he retires to a place near the sewing machine, cleans up and then goes to sleep.  The second Warren opens the door downstairs, he wakes up and heads out of the room -- very fickle.


This is the first of the quilt tops I made from the strips that I cut.  I decided that I would make a quilt for the beach house instead of comfort quilts with this bunch as I liked the colors and it was taking a bit more labor than I like to put into quilts to give away (like the disappearing 9-patches).  It is actually 72 inches by 81 inches so will fit on a queen sized bed or smaller.
This is the second top made out of the same pile of strips.  Basically five 2 1/2 strips were sewn together and then cut diagonally which produces two different types of triangles.  So each 10 1/2 inch square produces 2 of each type to triangle.  You can usually get 4 squares from each strip but not always.  I had a bunch that only got the three squares so I cut up the rest into 4 1/2 inch wide strips and that is what is between the triangles in this top which is going very fast as opposed to the top one.  This is about 1/4 of the finished size.  There will be the white strip in the middle gradating out to the dark yellow orange on either side.  It is a very graphic looking quilt and I should have enough blocks to make a couple which I can use in the room with the twin beds.  I do like to have nice quilts on all the beds ---- and there are a lot of beds in the beach house (7 at last count!).
The above is a collage of several fabrics I did with the leftover dyes.  I did add navy blue into the mix as well as I like mixing intense blue and navy blue with both fuchsia and yellow -- gives a little more variety to the surface.  Each piece is 1/4 of a 2 yard piece.


I also did an additional couple of long sleeved tshirts using just the navy and intense blue dyes.  I do like those two dyes mixed together.  IMHO, navy blue is a pretty "clear" color as is intense blue.


I think I may be done dyeing for a bit but still have a few tshirts left sitting sadly white so they may find themselves immersed before monthend.


I have to start thinking about what projects I am going to be taking down to NC.  As design is the most time consuming in the pictoral quilts that I do, that may be the direction I go in.  I will have to take some sewing to do as I rarely go through a week without sewing.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Funny about George's behavior! I love the beach house quilt. It is stunning!

Priscilla Kibbee said...

I bet George thinks its his duty to guard you while DH is away.