Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Colin Block - The Process

Warren has headed to Lisa's for a few days so I thought I would take this time to move forward on the Colin quilt -- seemed quite fitting somehow.  George, of course, has different ideas and climbs on whatever table I choose for working.  Even if I wait until he is asleep, he hears that paper crinkling and he bounds for the the middle of my project.  Next step is locking him out of the room!!


Anyway, I thought I would share my process here. 


1.   My first steps are choosing the photo, converting it to black and white (to see if there is enough contrast for interest) and then posterizing it (most photo programs will do this).  I chose five levels of value for the Colin block.  You can see it peeking out from under George.




2.   My next step is to blow up the picture to the final size that I want.  I use free poster software to do this or take it to Staples if it is small enough.


3.    I then outline by tracing over all the different areas using a piece of clear plastic (tablecloth thickness).


4.    I then number all of the different sections.  These last two steps are done with black permanent marker.






5.    After I have numbers assigned to all the sections, I take a piece of paper and make columns of the number.  This will provide a map for three things -- a.  whether I have traced it onto the fusible or not, b.  is it a background or foreground (ie do I have to leave extra bit around the edge if a background piece) and c.  what value is the piece (1 - 5).


6.    Turn your piece of plastic with its numbers upside down and trace onto the paper side of fusible all the separate pieces, leaving space between each one.


7.   Rough cut around each of the fusible pieces, leaving extra for those called background but also leave a little on the foreground pieces.


8.    Group all the pieces for each value with its corresponding piece of fabric and fuse the fusible onto the fabric.  Then trim all the foreground pieces to the tracing line.  Leave 1/8 to 1/4 inch around the background pieces.


9.    Apply the fabric pieces to a  piece of background fabric.  Use your plastic outline as the template for where the pieces will go.  Easiest to do this by pinning the plastic to the top of the background fabric (right side up again), lifting up the plastic as you place the pieces.  Apply the pieces back to front, ie, place the background pieces down first and keep layering, ironing as you need to as you go along. 


10.   After you have the pieces all fused, then use matching thread and satin stitch each piece down using thread that closely matches the piece you are applying.  Some of the background pieces won't require any thread as there will be foreground pieces covering all the edges.


Now if George will just leave me alone long enough to get this map done and the tracing onto the fusible completed.  Once I have it set  up, the rest is easy.  As I plan to make several of these blocks using different fabrics, I will get a lot of repeat use out of this.  



George has been ever present since Warren has been gone.  Above he is "relaxing" on the porch.  Here he is helping me straighten up the latest quilt I have machine quilted.  I literally pick him up and put him down several times and finally just have to close the door with him outside!!

4 comments:

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Thanks for sharing your process! George likes some attention:)

Judy Warner said...

Thanks for sharing, Beth. Will be interested to see how it progresses, if George will get off it long enough for you to take a photo!

Priscilla Kibbee said...

You should call it a George and Colin quilt.

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

Great process explanation. Thanks. Can't wait to give it a try when I get back home!!!