Monday, October 16, 2017

Some New Ice Dyed Pieces

This is an arrangement of nine of the 12 small pieces that I did using the grass green, ultraviolet and basic blue.  They were all a little dark for my taste although they were pretty evenly dyed.  I should have used some yellow in these but thought the very light grass green would work.  I usually stack them a bit deeper as well.  I don't think there were more than a couple piled on top of one another this time, so there were six or seven of the small pieces, one larger one and two drop cloths for each of the two bins.  Usually I have 2 large, 2 drop cloths and 12 to 16 of the small pieces which eats up a bit more dye.

 This and the next piece are both the 23 x 23 inch pieces.  There was one in each batch.



 The next few were the smaller pieces and I thought were the better of the bunch because they were a little lighter.  I do like the ultra-violet and will use that color again.  It is a pre-mixed dye which I tend to shy away from and have used blue-violet in the past but think I like this purple better even than the pure color grape.










The next four were my "drop" clothes.  This was a top layer one.


This was on top of the accordion folded ones pictured below (and my favorites as well).


I think this is a bottom.


Another top with the color clearly delineated.

 These last four were easily my favorites of the day.  I have had a terrible time trying to get even folds on larger  pieces of fabric so did four fat quarters for a start to see how they would do with the technique I planned to use.  The technique was to according fold and then twist around and set them standing up as I suspected that I would get the most even color this way.  I also applied the dyes in stripes across the buncles rather than the random spoonfuls I used on the other two bins.




3 comments:

Sandhill crane said...

Beth, Wow, you continue to amaze me. Thanks for the ice dying examples and tips, very generous of you. Two questions: Why would it matter that the temperature be in the seventies when we are using ice anyway? What kind of a camera do you use for those close ups of birds?

Burnell, another birding, ice-dying woman

Sandhill crane said...

Beth, I've been thinking overnight, since I last commented, that maybe the time after the ice has melted is when the temperature needs to be higher because this is when/how the dye sets. When you mentioned nuking the cloth for 4 minutes, do you still need to wait 24 hours for the dye to set? Do you just put the cloth in a plastic bag in the radar range?

Thank you, Burnell

Elizabeth said...

I just posted a long comment and it disappeared!! I don't wait 24 hours if I have a microwave available. I just wait until the ice all melts nicely. I will nuke it even after 24 hours of setting just as a fail safe especially if there is turquoise or basic blue which need some heat. I don't have a spare microwave down in NC which is where I dye in the winter.

I have a Canon 80D with a 100--300 telephoto lens. I also have a Canon Rebel with a Tamron 17-300 lens (which is a lot cheaper). It does fairly well but not as well as my Canon lens. It takes some getting used to as the Canon lens is quite heavy but can get some really good shots with it!