Saturday, September 14, 2019

More Strips Find a Home

Made lots and lots of trees in anticipation of making another house quilt from the little kits I had put together.  I have enough trees now for three more quilts but probably will only do two more here.

Another one finished!  I have actually made a sizable dent in the 2 inch green strips!!

Each house's colorful part uses about a strip 21" x 2" so a strip from a fat quarter works just fine.  I literally have used scraps for these.

I had intended to do a "spin block" quilt but started sewing 2 inch strips together into groups of five which is what  you would use for this block so decided to do a quilt using 2 inch strips instead of the 2 1/2 inch strips I had been using.  I adjusted the length to 3 1/2 inches so the blocks finished to 9  inches instead of 12 inches.  Therefore I needed 16 blocks instead of 9 to make the 40 inch quilt.  I always like to finish a couple of blocks to see how it looks before I turn in for the day.

I finished the center of the quilt and am going to use a nice blue for a border.

The top is all finished now and I really like this one and the arrangement when you do the even number of blocks.  I have enough for a second quilt but decided I would use the blocks to make a couple of totes rather than another quilt.  

This will be the back and front of tote number 1.  I will use the same blue I used on the borders for the sides and bottom of the bags.  I have wild fabric for the inside of one of them (which I will keep).  My older more conservative daughter will get one with a tamer inside!  The bags will be 18 x 18 x 4.  I have to wait now for the interfacing to arrive in the mail as I ran out before I finished interfacing the handles.  I also didn't have enough for the second bag.

No comments: