Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Back to Baby Quilts!!

I had these 2 inch x 4 inch and 2 inch x 7 in strips leftover from a baby quilt I made probably 15 years ago.  I also had a bag of fabrics that went with it so it was time to use them up!!  I decided to do my old favorite but with larger blocks so did some calculating and came up with this.  I am not sold on the arrangement, but it is okay and results in a quilt the proper size which is 40 x 40.

Here it is all finished. and it is okay.  I am working on a different version which should be done tomorrow.  I have surrounded the feature square fabrics with the same color all the way around and just used the fuchsia, a yellow and a green.  There is probably one more quilt after that one and I can consider it done and may just cut the rest of the fabric into 4 1/2 inch squares and do my more traditional sized version.  The centers were Laurel Birch fabrics that I am sure I paid full price for -- a rarity for me!!  I am going through bolts of white fabric at an alarming rate!!

Well, I managed to get the stains out of the Baltimore Album blocks so I have enough for a small top.  As I definitely used two slightly different shades of white sateen as background, I will definitely be putting on some sashing.  Just have to find the right fabric.

I will probably use these pieces together and add some color around the outside to work off that inside piece -- one of my orphan blocks.

Have to figure out what to do around the outside here.  This was one of my mandalas which didn't look very good so I cut it into 8 pieces and repieced it into this arrangement which definitely is an improvement over the original dyed block!!  This was one of my 22 in square ones so the final piece will be a decent size.

Here are lots of the orphan blocks some of which date back close to 40 years and the very beginnings of my quilting adventures!!  

No comments: