Friday, May 8, 2020

Rooting Through the Detritus of Quilts Past!

Well, I thought I would start with a bunch of blocks that actually got sewn into a top yesterday.  These are leftovers from the Lorraine Mooney Spin blocks that I did a lot of last summer.  I really like the scrappy version.  I don't know whether this will be for Neonatal or Sweet Charity.  It is about 40 x 40.

This is a very large bag that I made with some upholstery samples that I have had for years.  I have given away tons of these samples over the years but kept the ones that I thought were really pretty or made out of all cotton and not too heavy.  This was made with 2 27 x 27 inch samples.  I did French seams so I didn't line it but it has all finished edges.  It is a very heavy hand painted fabric and I didn't feel the need for lining.  I probably should have made the straps further apart but oh well.  I am planning on making a bunch of bags to donate to one of the food distribution centers in Wilmington.  My husband and daughter volunteer at one which is closed right now.  My daughter had suggested the bags were a really good idea.  It will be a good use of that drapery fabric.  I have some pieces though that are stunningly gorgeous so they will be made into something just for me or I will just look at them occasionally and sigh!

This was the beginning of a piece made for some sort of competition I believe.  I tried cutting it up and rearranging and trimming but just too ugly to do anything with so it actually made it into the trash can as without merit!

This was done in a Nancy Crow class probably 30 years ago.  It was not great then and hasn't improved with age but is about 36 x 36 so could be made into a quilt for charity or not. 

I think this was done in a Jane Sassaman class about 25 years ago before anyone really knew who she was!!  I think this was one is redeemable.  It just needs to be sewn down onto a further background.  I do love iris.  Nowadays I would never do a dark background like that!!  Too much time in the sunny south!

This is a block I did in a Paula Nadelstern class probably 15 years ago.  I will definitely do something with this one as It is really pretty (I think).  It uses principles of bilateral symmetry and I purchased lots of fabrics to do more like this, most of which I have sold by now!!

 These next two  pictures are leftovers from the advanced sampler class I took probably 35  years ago.  It was my second pieced quilt.  There are five blocks altogether.  Not sure what I will do with them but will definitely make them into some kind of top.


Almost last but certainly not least are this bunch of Baltimore Album blocks.  I have already made a complete quilt with 25 other blocks.  I found these six plus 4 more in among the random blocks.  If you look real closely at the blue one on the bottom has a yellow stain in the upper left hand corner.  There were several others that were badly stained.  No odor so have no idea what caused it. I used stain remover, threw them into the washer and voila, they are clean now!  So I think I will have enough for a good sized top.  I probably won't hand quilt this one like the last one.  I used to applique these when I was flying back and forth to DC on business probably 35 years ago!!

I have no idea what this is from but definitely a class of some kind.  

I have a bunch of more random pieces and a whole lot of blocks left over from various stack and whack projects.  I am definitely throwing out a couple of other pieces that I don't want to work on  --- not inspiring at all.


No comments: