Sunday, August 16, 2020

Oh No, Not More Stack and Whacks!

This is the first half of the blocks made from the flower fabric which I did find and is pictured below.  



The repeat is about 12 inches.  It surprised me how well the blocks turned out as I really thought there wasn't enough variation and difference in value.  It is more subtle and I really like it!



This is the very boring Christmas fabric I had.  I think I have a bunch more but am not sure I will do more hexies as I do think they are more repetitive than I like.  They are not as bad as I thought they would be though.



This is the fabric used in the above hexies.


 This is the same fabric but in a different colorway than the blocks in the last post.  I do like these better and have enough to make one heck of a lot of blocks!!  I may not give this one to charity although I may have enough to make a couple of big ones as well as some smaller ones.  this was the really cheap fabric I got at Joanns so bought what was left on the bolt as I thought it would make good stack and whacks.


I started doing these kaleidoscopic blocks many years ago at the suggestion of an email pen pal who discovered them.  I got completely hooked and swore them off for years.  I had one heck of a lot of fabric that I bought to do these and have been trying to use up this fabric.  My favorite fabric for these blocks is fabric that is not pretty but has lots of contrast and a fairly large repeat.  I found some gorgeous fabric that I probably intended for these blocks but have decided to keep it whole and use it for backs as you  usually have to buy quite a bit of fabric for stack and whacks.  My only exception recently was the Birds of Paradise fabric that I made into blocks.

I am getting around these days with a big black heavy boot and a cane.  I am back in my sewing room for a couple of hours a day.  My daughter hoped I was cleaning -- but not!  At least I am sleeping in my own bed again which is a great relief!  I have put my walker and my scooter in the basement for now.

No comments: