Thursday, August 6, 2020

Birds and Butterflies

Having been housebound for two many months, I asked my daughter to take me to the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge so I could see some of my birds.  It was a gorgeous day although there were not a great many birds.  We did see several of these beautiful goldfinches feasting on the Scottish Thistle.

This is an Eastern Kingbird and I don't think I have seen one of those before so that was a nice find and he posed for us as well!

This is a female Wood Duck (forward) and a juvenile Wood Duck in the back.  I have seen male adult Wood Ducks before but this was a first for a juvenile and a female!  There were lots!

This was a juvenile Pied Billed Grebe.  There were quite a few of these as well as lots of juvenile mallards.  So it was a baby day for sure.  We also saw our fair share of Great Blue Herons, Crows and Vultures.  Daughter was disappointed that we didn't spot any Bald Eagles though.

This and the following pictures were taken in my driveway of one of a pair of Hummingbirds that were constantly on the Butterfly Bush.  I called them the hummingbirds that think they are butterflies.  I had to use impossible settings on my camera and many many pictures to even get 3 or 4 decent ones as their wings go soooo fast.
This is a Cabbage White butterfly.  We have a lot of these this time of year.

This is an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.  In previous years, I have seen more of this Swallowtail than any other but this is the first I have seen one this year.  Still haven't seen a Spicebush Swallowtail, the other one that is frequently here.

I have still been sewing away sitting in bed and I think finished enough of these for at least one baby quilt.

This is another version of the kaleidoscope block.  Again I have enough to make a baby quilt.

No comments: