Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Still More...

Here is the beginning of using up some of those 4 patches from the purple fabric.  I didn't have any more of the purple I used in the previous quilt so decided to go with white on which I will quilt purple motifs of some kind.  Will probably quilt in white on the green squares.

All done!  I found this random purple print which turned out to be a great choice for the border.  This quilt is about 42 x 55 finished.

This and the next are snippets of a Christmas fabric which has a 24 inch repeat.  I forgot to take a picture of the whole repeat.  I ended up making 144 sets of posie blocks.  I had 8 repeats of the fabric but it was from two different bolts obviously as they didn't line up.  I was really  unsure about how these blocks would look as 4 patches but was really pleased.  I cut the strips into 3 1/2 width as there is a lot of black background in this print as well as very large flowers.  

This and the next picture are some of the blocks that I have made.  I am very happy with how they are looking.  Am currently thinking I will surround each block with a red border.  There are some that I think will need a green border so we shall see how they all come together.  There is enough to make quilt a few quilt tops - 6 reasonable sized quilt tops.

I found this fabric in my stash, again in two pieces.  It is an Alexander Henry from many years ago which I got for $2.50/yd from a now defunct variety store.  I have 12 repeats, 4 on one piece and 8 on the other.  The repeat is a huge 24 inches too.  I couldn't help myself and had to try out a few blocks.

These are the first 24 blocks I made from the sets.  There are 72 sets altogether.  They are bright!!  I cut the strips 3 1/2 inches wide like the Christmas blocks.  This way, 5 across with borders and sashing makes a quilt top that is about 40 inches wide by 60 inches long and good for a charity quilt.  I may hold off on giving away a few of these quilts as there is a quilt show next year (I hope).

I decided that I would surround each of these blocks with black and then I will do white sashing with some sort of cornerstones -- to be determined.  I think they float on the black and I may re-think using black on the Christmas blocks instead of the red. Hmmm...


No comments: