Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Great Blue Heron Top Finished!


Working on the Great Blue Heron still and this was my first iteration of placing the blocks so that the straight edges were along the vertical axis.  Because of measurements, I decided that this was not the way to go.  I didn't want to lop off a big part of the central panel which I would have had to do.


Almost done here.  I hand applqued the hexies along the  long side and made them line up by making the seams a little bigger.  The challenge was the straight seams and I had to do some unnatural things to get them to line up!  It ended up a  little wonky but I think I can quilt out the difference.  The nice thing about these one block wonders is that they are a bit busy and so your eye doesn't really notice irregularities without studying it.







It is finished here and now will have to find some backing and get it basted.


I had a pile of these left over from cutting the diamonds -- they were the side pieces.  I decided they had a 90 degree corner so they could end up as four patches so I took a break and sewed them together.



This is what they looked like before sewing them together.



This one is all sewn together!
They are slightly different sizes and are not a traditional posie block but I like the off-centered nature.

I'll figure out something to do with them eventually.





 

No comments: