Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Baby Quilts and Great Blue Heron Progress

I made extra large half square trangles for this series of quilts.  I had a big bag of 4 1/2 in squares that I sewed into four patches.   I used 18 in squares of the fabric to make the 1/2 square triangles since the blocks needed to be 8 1/2 inches (8 1/2 + 8 1/2 + 1 = 18).  This was my first iteration where I just used random blocks together but I didn't think the same fabric for the half square triangles was enough to bring it together.



This was the second iteration where I used like colors but didn't like the pinks on the outside like I thought I would!


This was the final arrangement and the quilt measures 40 x 40.



This was the second quilt I finished.  They go really fast!




I made a few more four patches and took the ones I didn't use from the first quilt and came up with a third one.  So now I have 10 neo-natal quilt tops that have to be basted and quilted.  


Decided it was time to get going on the one block wonder quilt using the heron fabric  There are 98 blocks to be made!!



Have progressed further than this but will save for a future blog!  This one is a bear!!  The panel is 28 x 41 and the blocks on the shorter side finish to about 6 inches and about 7 on the wider side.  This was my first iteration set up like I set up the Canada goose blocks.  The arithmetic didn't work though as I would have to cut too much of the central panel away to made the blocks fit.  From the picture, you can see the straight along the vertical axis and the overlapping triangles on the horizontal axis.  I have since reversed that.





 

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Wow! Can’t wait to see the finished heron!