Sunday, January 17, 2021

Half Square Triangles - a Primer

I am a big fan of 4 patches as you may have guessed if you have seen posts of my baby quilts.  It is easy and soothing.  I have not been a big fan of half square triangles.  I have tried all the methods of making them and just got annoyed as you always have to trim them and I never could get it just right. 

I decided to try a method that I had not tried before.  The methods I have used in the past are (1) two squares sewn together down the middle - 1/4 from each side of the center marked area;; (2) just cutting two 45 degree triangles and sewing them together; (3) sewing two strips together, both top and bottom and then using a 45 degree triangle ruler and cutting them out -- this is super fast but results in all bias edges but it is super fast and (4) this method which I kind of guessed at and know I have seen done in the past.


The above is the first step.  Decide what size squares you want to end up with and multiple the width of the resulting squares by 2 and add 1 inch.  So if you want 4 1/2 inch (unfinished) half square triangles, Multiply 4 1/2 x 2 and add one inch or a 10 inch square.  Then mark the two diagonals.  Sew 1/4 inch from either side of the 2 diagonals.

Rotary cut along those drawn lines to get 4 triangles with stitching on two side.


Cut each of the above triangles in half.  I pile them all up together on the cutting board, making sure the long side is right on a horizontal line and the apex of the triangle is on a vertical line and then rotary cut through all of them.  I then open them up and iron the seam to the dark side.



This is the part that is probably obvious to all but wasn't to me.  Align the ruler so that one corner is on a corner where the two colors come together.  Then align the ruler so that the 4 1/2 is on either side and then trim.  


For some reason, I liked this strategy the best.  I only decided to try this because I had these leftover 10 in squares from the prize fabric and thought I would try something different with it as it was rather dark.  These squares have definitely led to a lot of experimenting. 


Here is a top using the half square triangles made from the 10 nch squares.


Here it is with borders so that it is the requisite 40 inches square.



This is the next quilt top I will be working on!!  This fabric was sent to me by my sister last year.  I had stacked it all before I left last year and today I cut the strips to make this into a one block wonder quilt.  I love the fabric.  Somewhere here I have another one block wonder top with Canada Geese but haven't located it yet so I can baste and quilt it!



 

1 comment:

Gail said...

Can't wait to see what you do with the heron fabric!