Wednesday, March 27, 2013

New Purse, New Bird

I am having a great deal of fun making these purses and pretty soon the dining rooms chairs will have many colorful bags hanging from them.  It is fun to try to make do with what fabrics I brought down here (just some miscellaneous fat quarters and 1/2 yard pieces of fabric that I liked).  I can make do to get the handles, the decorative flap and the main part of the back from 1/2 yard of fabric.  I just do the linings out of a different fabric.

This is the back of the same purse with its nice set in zipper.  I just need to add some of my decorative pulls from my stash at home.  Also want to add a button as well on the flap and they are also at home.

The Yellow Rumped Warblers have even invaded our yard now.  I took this looking down on one in my next door neighbor's yard.  I didn't know they had yellow on the top of their heads as well but they do!  

This is the Red Throated Loon minus the red throat which he only has in the summer time.  The Laughing Gulls have changed to their summer plumage but not this guy.
This is a Common Loon who also still has his winter colors.  It was kind of a grey afternoon so not so great for taking pictures of birds which can only be seen with binoculars!

This is my new bird which is a Dovekie.  According to the lastest Stokes book (The Stokes Field Guide to the Birds of North America), this guy shouldn't be this far south but guess it is extra cold up north!  He is a small stocky bird with a tiny triangular shaped bill.  He spent most of his time diving or shaking out his wings so was very difficult to get a good shot.  Good enough that my bird guy Bruce down here in Wilmington confirmed my sighting.

He was doing a lot of this posture.  

No comments: