Monday, March 25, 2013

Another New Purse

Still trying out purse patterns and this is the latest.  This is the front and under the flap (which should have some velcro and a button but I didn't bother although I may add the button when I get home), there is a nice welt pocket.


This is the back of the purse which has a zipper.  Again, there was supposed to be a second zippered compartment sideways for a phone but I figured I would be in more danger of forgetting to zip and having the phone fall out than anything so again, I skipped that.  


This was just laid on top of one another to see how it would look.  

This pattern was quite easy and had a couple of very clever things whIch I can definitely make use of! The simplest was the trim treatment. It solved a couple of problems.  The gold pieces are just decorative and lay on top of the main part of the purse.  Now normally, you would fold over the edge and sew down after pressing carefully to get that 1/4 inch.  Well, here you just lay a piece of 7/8 inch wide (folded to 7/16 wide) along the edge, sew a 1/4 inch away and it just then kind of lays flat. You sew along the dark trim and never see a stitching line.  Very easy.  I also like putting in the zippers by just making an opening so will be doing that again as I do like zippers.  I will be making more of this purse although I think most people would like it bigger.  I rarely carry much in my purses anymore and it is big enough for my Kindle and that is all that counts these days!!  I might also make a squared off version as I suspect I would like that shape better as well.  Looks like I will be going home with 5 or 6 new purses as my daughters will just turn up their noses!!



This is the pattern for the purse.
You can see that I have almost finished all the gridded quilting in the Baltimore Album sampler.  Just have a bit more to do in the middle and then figure out what to do around the outside and in the corners.  I am thinking of adding some ruched flowers in the corners.  Has to be done my our June quilt show as I already sent in the paperwork to enter it!!


A Forster's Tern was among the Laughing Gulls down at Ft. Fisher this afternoon.  Haven't hit the tide right to see any of my Oystercatchers for awhile now.


I believe this is a Savannah Sparrow that was lurking and moving very quickly by the rocks at Ft. Fisher today.  If you look closely, you can see the faint yellow on his head.  Some of the other pictures show it a little better but he was moving too fast!


Some dolphins also swam by in the surf.  Buffleheads were also still there although there aren't many other birds these days.


This is a closeup of the little yellow flowers which are everywhere now.  The flowers themselves are no bigger than a pencil eraser.


Of course there were a lot of the Yellow Rumped Warblers which have invaded this area the past few weeks!!  There were a lot of them but they are skittish and don't let you get close.

No comments: