I pushed the envelope with this group with some more successful than others. My challenge was to see how many layers of fabric the dye would flow through and give some semblance of the same pattern. I did two different foldings of fabric to test this. Fold 1 was folding one yard in quarters accordion style across the width of the fabric and then in quarters again across the lengths, again accordion style not just folds. Fold 2 was folding in eighths across the width again accordion style and then just folding it in half across the length. Both give you 16 layers. I used pfd print cloth for all but one which was Egyptian cotton. I figured the weave of the fabric (the Egyptian cotton is higher thread count) would affect it which it didn't seem to do.
This was probably my favorite of the bunch. I utilized Black 604, Intense Blue and a little Blue/Violet. This was a Fold 1 variation. I tried to put the black along the edges which doesn't show up as much on this one as some others.
This had a lot of black in it and is nicer looking in person It looks to me like 8 is about the maximum thicknesses where you get the same patterns. If I cut this at the half yard mark, I would have two different looking pieces. Of course, they will make awesome fat quarters!!
This was my favorite as it looked like there were circles and a center point. You can see most clearly here the folds that resulted in 16 thicknesses. Again, I put the black around the edge. I didn't scrunch these very much if any either.
Another one that didn't photo well -- a lot of black but quite nice in person.
This was one of the ones that was folded in eighths and then in half (Fold 2). Again, looks like I could cut down the middle and have two different patterns.
Another of the folds across but instead of folding in half, I just sxcrunched it up tighter. I like parts of this one more than other parts. I have found that I like to restrict my colors rather than using the whole rainbow on one piece which I did with a couple here.
This was a Fold 2 example. I liked the top half but too many colors as I think I used them all but tried not to put complementary colors next to each other. I might not have used quite enough dye as well for these colors that didn't go through the 16 layers as effectively.
If I decide to get some more ice next week, I may try some with just 8 layers to see how that goes. This is terribly addictive!! I may have to give this a new name as new ideas keep coming!! So "shicebori" it is for now.....