Saturday, January 10, 2009

Back to the Studio for the New Year!


It was so good to get back to Marcia's and join with Priscilla in a wonderful day of solving the world problems and getting some sewing done. Unfortunately, her beloved horse became very ill while we were there so we didn't see as much of Marcia as we would like but Bill kept us up to date on what was happening.
As we left, the full moon was brightly shining through the trees even though it was still daylight. I couldn't resist a couple of pictures.

This is Priscilla's Wolf quilt which is just beautiful and a stunning tribute to this beautiful animal. I was lucky to see one in the wild in Alaska (although not at Yellowstone). I had to capture the Singer Featherweight which is also my machine of choice for this travelling piecing!



This is a closeup of one of the cross-stitched pieces on the quilt. Notice the wolves all facing to the left.
This wolf is looking right at you and is definitely the focal point of the quilt. She had to eliminate some of her selections because the wolves were facing in the wrong direction!!


This is the front of Priscilla's "Jacket from Hell" as she affectionately calls it. She was desparately trying to give either Marcia or I the pattern for the jacket yesterday but we weren't falling for it!

This is the back of the jacket. The jacket is literally just one piece and therein "lies the rub".

This is a piece that Marcia recently finished quilting and I love the colors and the feeling of the piece -- very soothing.
This is the first of my two hexagon tops. If you look closely (by double clicking), you will see family pictures in the hexagons as well as many different critters and "stuff". I tried to add things that would be meaningful to the family in both of these two hexagon quilts. Different novelty fabrics were included from local as well as email pals! I must have had close to 600 different prints in the end!!




This is the depression quilt put back together. I quilted by hand 70 of the blocks so far and now just have to do the blocks on the outside and the two middle rows -- this adds up to 62 blocks and I also have to add the borders yet and quilt those. Hmmmm -- will it get done in time for our quilt show? Double click to see the detail of these blocks. As I have mentioned before, all but the backing and the natural colored muslin were vintage fabrics. The blocks are all 30's era blocks as were derived from a quilt I saw on ebay and the patterns sold by http://www.sentimentalstitches.com/. I never finished all the blocks in the original quilt and added a few of my own that I got out of Electric Quilt's Barbara Brackman CD which contains the derivations of all the blocks.

No comments: