Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A New Inspiration!

Well, it has been one of those "wonderful" days of staying inside and watching the snow pile up outside my window. However, I did manage to get one much dreaded task done today which was to add the borders to the Depression Extreme Sampler. I literally didn't have an inch of fabric to spare for one of the colors. Everything in this quilt except for the natural muslin and the backing is vintage fabric so it is not like I can go buy more! It took most of the afternoon but it is done so there is some hope that I can finish it for our quilt show in June -- I am actually hand quilting this thing as I just couldn't bring myself to machine quilt a quilt of this genre.

I can't believe but I managed to get the borders onto the two "I Spy" quilts as well as pin basting one of them for future machine quilting!

But sometimes I just get inspired by reading the notes I get daily from the various digests (I was about to type dyegest and that would have been very appropriate!) They have been talking about the dangers of sprinkling dye on snow and then doing snow dyeing but another lady spoke of doing it using some other technique which she didn't identify. A little web search came up with another technique and some pretty examples of what people got sooooo...... drumroll please -- more dyeing will be coming forth these next few days! It just looked like a fun thing to do and when you are "blessed" with a foot of snow.....

So onward to "prepare" some fabric for dyeing and to make up the dyes to do it!

No comments: