Wednesday, February 4, 2009

First February Fun Day!

When Jeanne and I left Webster to go to Marcia's, the sun was brightly shining and there were blue skies. The closer we got to Palmyra, the foggier it got (what a switch from our usual story). I couldn't resist taking this picture from the door of Marcia's studio looking out to the barn. It was a black and white world!

This is one of the two "I Spy" baby quilts that I have bordered and basted and ready to machine quilt! The back of this one is covered with pigs doing all sorts of things. The other one (my grandchild's) has dinosaurs all over it.


This is the Depression Extreme Sampler with it's borders. It has a 1/2 inch yellow border, then the green and the lavender and I think it calms it down quite a bit. The hand quilting is coming along and it may actually get done in time for the quilt show!!


This is of course Suki helping me out while I am making tick marks on the heron! She only goes to the places I am specifically working on!




The heron has been drawn, redrawn, marked, traced, ticked and I am still not entirely happy with it. I am working on a lily now and tried a different approach which is a little better but still not totally okay. The heron was difficult because it is shades of gray and so very hard to keep track of where you are and what color pieces should be. When I originally started drawing my lines, I didn't first break the picture down which was a big mistake and caused much redrawing but this is a learning process -- how to abstract very realistic images. My biggest lesson was that "if you can't break it down easily into sections, the beginning composition might be the problem!" Both my pelican and the Birds of Paradise were fairly easy to break down. Even though I have spent many, many days on the heron, it may never see the light of "quilt".

Both Nancy and Marcia were working on pieces to be donated to Women Helping Girls for their auction. This is Nancy's piece with a camel she drew as the main motif.(www.communitywishbook.com/WomenHelpingGirls.html)
This is Marcia's piece with zebras. I think we have an animal theme working here!







Jeanne was working on finishing a piece from the Sharon Craig workshop we took a year ago. Her colors and choice of fabrics were exceptional. I did love this workshop also and it is too bad that Sharon Craig will no longer be teaching as she is fantastic!




No comments: