Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Terrific Tuesday!

It is always good to see Priscilla again and hear her travelling stories! She just returned from a wonderful trip to Las Vegas and then down to Phoenix. After this trip, she was off again to teach in Chicago and a whirlwind schedule which she writes all about in her blog! She definitely has been converted to a quilter though for 2009! This is an art quilt that Priscilla has made with leftovers from previous projects. I especially liked the small checkerboards that are spread throughout.
We had a wonderful day at Marcia's as usual in her very well lit and wonderful studio! The weather even cooperated! I got to show off my newest snow dyes and work on my next Ruth McDowell piece which is working out better than my last drawing by far. It is beginning to be more intuitive. Working in smaller sections really helped turn the corner for me so we shall see what happens.
The drawing on the left (believe it or not) contains no curves and measures about 3 feet by 4 feet!! It was from a picture of lillies that I took two years ago at QBL when stunning lillies were in bloom all over the campus. It will be fun to find some background fabric for this one -- may make my own out of various greens with some purples thrown in for good luck! I guess this will start defining my style. I seem to like intricate piecing and large clumps of one fabric just seems to demand breaking down. This gets a little tricky as you want it to kind of read the same and allow a little resting of the eyes but I do like it to be interesting. I think this lillies drawing will be a quilt before the Great Blue Heron is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt... very Yvonne Porcella... i love the colours and chequerboards... Lx