Friday, February 20, 2009

At Last - New Snow!

Well, I will get to test out new fallen snow today with the snow dyes! I am heading out to scoop up the snow now -- it looks like it will be rapidly replenished the next few days as well!


Hmmm. The new snow is snowball snow (which I think means pretty wet) but it melts in about 1/3 the time that the old stuff did which had been pretty packed down and snowflakes merged together. I just dumped a second layer and some more dye on. The dye actually compresses the snow when you are putting it on unlike the old crunchy stuff (now I got the old crunchy stuff when the temps were in the 40's and it is only in the 20's today). Hmmmm. We shall see I guess! I may even have to scour some more fabric! I am doing 4 yards at a time now. Hopefully I will get something other than just regular chrystally stuff that I can get without snow! This time I went for the warm colors as I was getting tired of the blues so we shall see!! This first piece is a result of the first tries with the fluffier snow. I was a little careless with my colors and am not crazy about it but it has some redeeming qualities!


The remaining pieces were done later in the day and I used twice the snow of the earlier attempts (a six gallon bucket instead of a 3 gallon one). I liked the colors better and could see using them for rocks as there are lots of beiges and grey blues. This was a mix of lots of yellow, a little mixing red and some navy thrown in for good luck!



This final piece is just a closeup of one of the above views. Each of the pictures represents about a piece 23" x 36". The last one portrays only half of that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you show how you make this?

i am a beginner and have no idea how you make this?