Saturday, October 16, 2010

Hexagons, Hexagons, Hexagons

Well, we have our first official fire of the season yesterday. It was cold and dreary out. I actually slept in rather late in the morning and it still looked like the middle of the night when I got up! It is perfect weather for finishing projects!


This I have called "X Marks the Spot". It is quite reworked from the version I showed the other day as it looked too random to me. It takes forever to sew all these equilateral triangles together!! It is really easy to piece these blocks but there is lots of pinning when you are putting them together. You basically make half hexagons and then line them up in rows so you have to sew each half hexagon to the next one to complete a row. Then you sew the rows together. Before you sew the rows together though, you have to trim off the points and then pin all intersections of the seams. I am relatively pleased with how this looks now and inspired to be a little creative with the borders. It is about 5 feet by 5 feet.

This one is about 4 feet by 5 1/2 feet and is probably my favorite and I will be dyeing fabric to finish off the borders on this one.


George of course came up to help me as I was putting the third of the hexagon quilts together. He justs makes himself at home and sleeps through the sewing machine humming right next to him. Of course, if you leave the room for even a minute, he is right with you.
I have just finished putting up a third one of these quilts on my design wall. It is predominantly green, red and white and the challenge will be to keep it from looking like a Christmas quilt!
It is almost done. I just have to sew four sections together and then trim. It is about 4 feet by 6 feet. I call this one "U are There". With two of these tops, I tried to incorporate a loose interpretation of some standard design configurations (x's, t's, u's, o's and some others). I always have an overwhelming urge to name my quilts!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Oooo, I love these hexagon quilts. I have one partially done but I don't have enough variation in color so I lost steam on it and think it will hit the trash. But you may have inspired me to try again!

Katie said...

this is beautiful! stunning actually!! I just finished a small 1" hexie quilt made of scrap 30s prints and i'm cutting for a 4" half hexie and diamond quilt - ya know the one that looks 3D like a block within a block? lol I'm using hand-dyes!!
Anyway.. Yours is GORGEOUS!