Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Visit to a Fellow Art Quilter

On Thursday, my sister and I trekked to Port Charlotte to meet with the sister-in-law of my best friend from high school who just happens to be an art quilter! Best of all, she specializes in doing pictorals like myself and of course living here in beautiful Florida, she does a lot of local flora and fauna!

This was my favorite. If you click on the picture, you can see the extensive beading in the middle. Each one was hand sewn on although my non-quilting friend asked if they had been glued!
Joan retired from a demanding corporate job about the same time I did and took up quilting with a passion, much like myself. She has done some traditional quilts but definitely prefers doing art quilts for her walls!

This was a recently done piece as part of a challenge about mangroves.

Like me, Joan did a Ricky Tims Convergence piece and didn't like it much so she vastly improved it with the applique of a flower designed by a friend.







Here is a busy beaver!




This was a quilt done for her father as a memory quilt of their trip to Alaska.





This is an abstracted rock climber inspired by page 13 of a magazine -- another of the challenges Joan participated in! You have to look closely to see the blue rock climber!

No comments: