Monday, July 30, 2012

The Jacket Overachiever

Finally finished the jacket that I started in the kimono jacket class that Priscilla taught a couple of weeks ago.  I then proceeded to go through a bunch of fabric from which I had long ago intended to make jackets .  As I am in major cleanup phase, figured now was the time as I do like the casualness of the jacket and the ease of making.   So in best obsessive  Beth style,  I quickly cut out four more and finished them off last night.  The jacket is really simple and you make a pattern  to your own measurements with Priscilla's help.     The first jacket above had pretty routine fabric so Priscilla helped me by providing some strips that I could incorporate.  There is a bigger strip in the back.   The band is one of my hand dyed sateens with a little bit of purple silk.  The jacket is made from  a scarf that is two sari's sewn together which is what creates the stripes.  It ends up a 30 inch by 2 yard piece of double sided silk.

This  was a real stretchy  fabric I bought at a sale a couple of years ago.  It has lots of bling on it as well (although you can't see from the picture).  I thought it would make a nice sweater kind of jacket and I do like it a lot! !

This was another sale piece of fabric that was loosely woven (had to serge all the inside seams so it wouldn't fall apart).  I am not crazy about this one.  It has a silk dupioni  band.  Just not my color and kind of boring.

 Another piece of fabric that I found really  cheaply at Joann's,  so it came home with me   !  It is double sided and I like the way it turned out as well and it will look great with black pants!

This turned out to be my favorite.  I bought the piece of fabric (an old rayon I think) a few years ago at a garage sale.   I had thought I was going to make a bog coat out of it but really liked this one finished.  I just turned the fabric inside out for the band and added a little  of my hand dyed gold fabric for accent . 

Amazingly all the jackets  used the same pattern and they all fit a little differently due to the difference is fabric!

Peaking out from behind all the jackets is this quilt top which is the remaining blocks from the two previous quilts I made! !  Guess the remaining six blocks will never find a home now!!   This is just screaming to me for some applique on top so may try the Ricky Tims or  Libby Lehman techniques to add some fused on applique.

No comments: