Sunday, August 26, 2007

Lots of Quilting and Visit to Sonnenberg Gardens


Having lived in Rochester for almost 30 years, I am embarrassed to say that I have never before visited Sonnenberg Gardens in Canandaigua even though it is only 45 minutes from my house! They were having a combination juried vendors art show and of course the gardens so Warren suggested we go down on this beautiful summer Sunday.

The weather was a little iffy at first but became downright beautiful by mid afternoon. We first visited the vendors and I succumbed to a couple of dichroic glass pendants from a vendor who just happened to be from Webster and even knew Zanne from marching band. We then headed off to the greenhouses which were not very good at this time of year -- I must come sometime when the orchids are out more as there were quite a few of them.
We then headed up to the mansion on the hill. I was prepared for another dreary Victorian mansion but was very surprised by the beautiful layout of this house with lots of huge windows, porches and lightness even with the heavy Victorian furniture. I enjoyed walking around this grand old house.


We then headed out to the gardens. The rose garden was the most spectacular this time of year. Warren and I are spoiled after having had many visits to Longwood Gardens (the Dupont estate in Delaware) where the gardens are pristine no matter what time of year you visit. I hope that the takeover of the park by the State will improve some of the deteriorated conditions. I know that money was a real problem in the past. The Japanese gardens and the rose gardens were very nice with a lot of different colors.
I was taken by the multicolor roses that they had. One of my favorites was a deep red rose that was red on top and pure white on the underside -- very unusual.

I have been quilting like crazy and have been trying to piece another quilt for another baby. The parents are a couple of artists so I am making a very non-traditional color palette and having some fun. I was trying to get it done for the grandparents to take on Tuesday but think I will be failing at this goal!!

No comments: