Monday, August 27, 2007

A Most Unusual Baby Quilt


Well, I started the baby quilt for the second grandchild of my next door neighbors Saturday night and finished it at 4:30 this afternoon. Of course, housework suffered and my sewing room looks like a major tornado has hit it! It started as a simple pattern - a nine inch square that has 6 pieces in it -- a long skinny piece (2" x 9 1/2"), three equal sized squares (3 1/2") and then two equal sized squares (5"). The trick is to repeat the fabrics and twist the blocks around so you get odd mixtures of pattern and it looks something like a puzzle. Of course that is the trick and my first time through, it just looked plain busy so Sunday I spent my time undoing about half the squares and replacing prints with black or yellow. It looked more together to me after that.

Also, I finished all the quilting on the Yellowstone piece and scrunched up the sides a bit so it is more even.



Today, I used my two new wonderful folding tables outside and basted the quilt and then quilted and bound it this afternoon. It was some pretty non-stop sewing as I do like the step of hand sewing down the binding. I finally settled on a green/yellow binding although black would have probably looked the best. This IS a baby quilt after all!! The grandparents seemed to really like it and I got my second hug in two days. The first set of parents really loved their quilt and of course wanted to put it up on the wall. I tell all recipients that the quilts are to be used and the grandparents passed on the message, saying I really wanted the quilt to be used!


I also have posted a picture of my two new dichroic glass pendants. The lady's website who makes these is www.hollybeads.com and she lives right here in Webster!

No comments: