Saturday, September 27, 2008

Another Day of Obsessive Marbling!



Well, don't know whether it is the phase of the moon or the humidity or magic but as bad as the size has been the last couple of days, today is a whole different story!!! I have done four prints already and haven't added even one drop of surfactant! I even did a double print from one surface and the second is DARKER than anything I did two days ago and of course totally different from the first taken from the same bath. I finally decided to go back to my "roots". I may waste a little more size in the short term but will save in the long run I think.
So, instead of pulling the size off the fabric I have just printed, I am moving it directly into the water after letting it drip just a bit on its own. I also have all the paints and the size at the same temp (doesn't seem to matter what the temp is as long as all are the same it seems). I suspect the latter is what caused some of my problems before. I read up extensively on the net about surface tension, temperature, viscosity and the interrelationships of all of these and I think there is more unknown than known. However, for specific mediums, there are relationships between two of the three, it seems to depend on the medium so we are back to being unscientific but trying our best to control some of the variables!

Because the weather is so nasty today (typical fall day of rain and gloom), I am resorting to hanging my pieces on lines in the basement! I do have to figure out a way to do this while sitting. I have my tables up on risers for dyeing and really need that at a lower level if I want to sit. I know I will be more productive then. Now, I work for about an hour and then go sit for a few minutes before I am driven to go back down and work some more!



I think this one will make good leaves for my Bird of Paradise!


This is actually the second print from one of the baths -- can't remember from which piece now!
This was my very first print today and I knew things were going to go better. Double click to see the detail. I started with a fuchsia that was the remainder in an old Createx bottle. Must remember to get some more. The colors were much more predictable today. I probably did a dozen 1/4 prints and am down to only 2 1/4 pieces left so will be washing and doing the alum bath again. I am having sooooo much fun!

1 comment:

Vicki W said...

Wow, those are terrific!