Thursday, March 11, 2010

GVQC March - A Day with Velda Newman

This is one of Velda's magnificent quilts in person!! If you are a faithful reader, you know how much I love shells! Velda is at the microphone off to the left. She hand appliques and hand quilts these magnificent pieces after also doing her own dyeing and painting of the fabric.

I had the good fortune of being asked to drive her from her hotel to the club today. I had never met her but asked if she would like to take the long way up along Lake Ontario and see if my birds were there (not knowing she really liked birds). Well, all the ducks were gone but there were many swans and both Greylag and Canada Geese. She hadn't seen the Mute Swans before and there were a lot of them. The ice has receded so I think the ducks are moving back to the lake although the bay is still frozen over.
So it was a treat for her and for me as well! Would you believe I forgot to even introduce myself? I remembered after I picked up my name badge at the meeting!

Of course the first part of the meeting is the business part. This is our next year's president Margaret activing very presidential! She does have a good time and is always very upbeat!



This was a quilt done by Mollie Traub which is for her granddaughter who will be dancing with the Miami Ballet. It featrues her growing up with ballet.
Although a little difficult to see, this is a wholecloth machine quilted piece in the Welsh style by Ruth Ohol, one of our talented quilters.



This is a lovely house quilt that was done and quilted a block at a time and then put together!

This was a lovely paper pieced quilt (I believe) done by Dorothy Brotsch.

Velda gave a lovely talk and there were probably more questions than I have ever heard at a GVQC meeting. All I can say is that I feel like I work in miniature now!! This was from photos of foxgloves. She does a lot of quilt based on flowers and is heading off to the flower show after club this afternoon.

This was one of my favorites. You can see from the size of the people holding how large it is. Anne is a tall lady. This quilt features all fruits from her yard when she lived in S. California (except for apples and one other one). I loved this one.

This was the Bass quilt. Can you believe she actually didn't dye the blue streaks until after she put it together and had appliqued everything? I am impressed -- that takes a lot of courage. You can double click on any of these pictures to see more detail!

1 comment:

Gail said...

Velda's quilts are wonderful - especially the shells!!