Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Spring Quilt Show at Patricia's in East Rochester

This quilt is by Jan Ciravola and I thought it was beautifully done. The quilts I have pictured here are some of my favorites from the show but there were a lot of others that were very well done.

Earlier this week (because of reminders on Facebook from other quilters basically), I delivered four quilts to be hung in the twice yearly show that is put on by Patricia's Fabric House in East Rochester. Three of the four quilts had only been seen once locally or not at all. One had been in several different local shows but is one of my favorites. Today I went to see what kind of company they were in!

The quilt show is always fun because you see things by people who don't belong to any of the local guilds and therefore this becomes their venue for hanging their quilts.

This small quilt is by Jean Cody and is called Cosmos in Lavender and Green and was started in a class with George Siciliano who specializes in very intricate piecing. I thought the colors were just beautiful and it was certainly well done. You have got to double click to see the incredible detail in this one.

I didn't realize until I got home that this quilt was by Diane Enerson of our RAFA group. I just loved the colors and with all my stripes, I think I will make one of these for sure!

This was an art quilt done by Karen Santoro and begun in a Rosalie Dace workshop.

I liked the color and simplicity of this quilt by Lynn Wigstone-Cassevoy.

I loved this small quilt by RAFA member Mary Rankin called Rhythm in Blue. I don't remember seeing it before.

This was another well done applique quilt by Mary Rankin.

This was a quilt by Paula Abraham called Birds on a Wire. It was hard to get really good pictures as there is not much room to back up to get the shots!

This was an incredibly executed quilt by Chris Wickert. When I first looked at it, I thought it was machine quilted but no, all hand quilted -- this is a picture from the side so you can see the complicated work in this one. Very reminiscent of quilts from the early 1800's.

I absolutely loved this quilt by Charl Isham taken from Freddie Moran's book. I had the pleasure to spend time with Freddie at Asilomar one year and she was hysterically funny and made the wildest brightest quilts ever. Her house was featured on one of the Simply Quilts shows as it is all decorated in highly saturated colors.

Of course, no show is complete without some "one block wonder" quilts. I couldn't believe this all came from one fabric and thought it was well done. This one was by Judy Heath.

This is another one block wonder kalaidoscope quilt using a musical instrument fabric. I tried to show a bit more detail in the picture below. This one was by Sandra Hoto.




















And here is our difficult to photo cat, Cheney. This is his favorite cat bed and he usually lies down all cuddled up like a self respecting cat. Somehow he ended up in his "I want to be petted" position while still sound asleep, of course showing off that he is not an all black cat afterall!






No comments: