Monday, March 29, 2010

Rainy Day Project

Well, I finally finished this hexagon layout top, even getting a border on it. It is all just a plain hexagon block and just one fabric. The top measures about 84 x 72 so it is pretty good sized! It will end up down at the beach house I suspect.

Priscilla insists it is still too red so I picked one of the border fabrics (leftover hand dye from a project long ago) in a color between the red and the purples to shift it a little in the purple direction.

This is really a "primary" color scheme which I never work in. It is primarily navy blue (background), yellow and red but shaded way down.

I might add that the border fabric cost about 5 times what the fabric for the inside did!! The inside was a Walmart special home dec fabric. It was interesting though, in that the print went all the way through and the back of the fabric was almost identical to the front which is very unusual in cheap fabric. The repeat was about 24 inches. Now hopefully I have this hexagon layout out of my system but I suspect not. They are even more fun than regular old Bethany Reynolds "stack and whacks".

So I am back to working on a Great Blue Heron quilt. I am awaiting an order of fabrics from my favorite discount online fabric place -- Thousands of Bolts. I decided that the background was very boring so I needed to do some piecing to jazz it up a little. (It doesn't take too much of an excuse to order fabric from these folks.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so beautiful! congratulations on your great talent.