Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hi Lily, Hi Lily, Hi Lo!

The Lilies are DONE! I machine quilted the heck out of them and have attached the facing. Only the sleeve and some blocking remain!! I am relatively pleased but see many opportunities for improvement. I finally took it out of hiding to show to my art quilt group.




These are a couple of snow dyes that I had done the previous days. Each piece measures two yards but you can't see it all. I wanted some reds!



Yesterday was a very busy day at Marcia's studio. I had set a goal for myself of donating two traditional tops to a worthwhile organization (Women Helping Girls) that auctions these tops at an event later this month. With the unpredictability of the last couple of weeks, it wasn't looking good! With minutes to spare, I finished stitching the sleeves on this morning during the meeting where I needed to hand them over!
The top quilt is about 30 " x 30" and called Star Flowers -- this was begun in a Carol Doak class with my own interpretation.
The second was begun in a wonderful Sharon Craig class and I call it Amish Crosses. It is about 35" x 45" and hold the honor of being the only quilt I have ever done that has all the blocks the same pattern and fabrics!!! I used some of my hand dyeds (as I did in the former piece) and Kaffe Fassett commercial fabrics in this one. I put black binding on this one and binding the color of the background on the above quilt!

Priscilla was working on her entry for the Almighty Dollar Challenge which is due next week. The exhibit will be opening at the Rundell Libary in downtown Rochester in the beginning of April -- it should be a really fun exhibit -- 15 to 20 quilts from artists around the state and curated by Pat Pauly. I also was working on my entry and tried a number of embellishments, none of which seemed to add anything so I finally succombed and will let the medium be the message -- I managed to get it basted and will start machine quilting tomorrow!






This was the beginnings of Marcia's second entry for the Almighty Dollar Challenge. I loved the colors and this is pure Marcia!

Marcia was working on two potential entries -- both awesome. Marcia has certainly found her voice this last year! She surprised us with the news that she had won an award ($ even) for Best Use of Color at the Mid Atlantic quilt show. She reminded us that it was brown and orange!
This is a jacket that is really taking shape on Marcia's design wall. It has a wonderful color pallette! She is using fabrics that were scraps gifted to her from another Marcia!

No comments: