Friday, March 26, 2010

Squirrel, Squirrel, Squirrelly

Who knows that they should take their camera when heading to the movies! Certainly not I. But yesterday, scurrying around a friend's neighborhood was the most beautiful white "gray" squirrel. I knew there was a group of them living here in Webster but didn't expect to see one in Irondequoit on my way to the movies! I went back today and did manage to get a couple of photos.

When I was growing up in the Philadelphia suburbs, gray squirrels were all over and not at all shy. For some reason, in Western NY, they act like wild animals and run as fast as they can if they come within 30 feet of you. They are just as common but very skittish -- not like those nice fox squirrels in the midwest.
Now I have seen the black morph of the grey squirrel in both Toronto and in Washington DC and I hear they are also present here in Western NY but haven't seen one. This white morph was new to me. You can see by the picture that it is not an albino which was my first thought when I heard of this variation. It isn't completely white, just whitish. The one I saw yesterday was even lighter and had a fluffier tale -- really a beautiful creature! So maybe we are a bit like Alaska with adaptive colors for our harsh winters!

Another beautiful day in Rochester although a bit chilly. I had passed by the bay yesterday and saw ducks floating around and wondered what they were so went back today to take some photos. I still don't know what they are!! I am thinking that they are common eiders but not so sure so hopefully my all-knowing sister will see this and correctly identify for me so I don't have to go back and take more and more pictures!

I thought they had the weirdest beaks which look like they tip down at the end. I thought they might be grebes but definitely not long enough in the neck nor do they have the coloring. My first assumption had been scaups but don't seem to be the ones I have seen at least (the great scaups).

5 comments:

Camilla said...

I've seen a few near me (Boston area) that really are pure white in the coat - not actually as pretty as your frosted-looking one.

The one I've been seeing regularly for almost two years was joined last summer by another - I suspect they are mother and son. Dark eyes, also, and the older's tail has discolored in a slightly yellowish way.

Elizabeth said...

The first one I saw was much purer white than this one so I suspect that there is a colony there like there is in my town. I am hoping to find out where our colony is. They are just so beautiful but wish they weren't so shy!

Gisela Towner said...

Not far from me, in Oberlin, there is a herd/pack/slew of white squirrels in Tappan Square. They even have a Facebook page -- LOL!

Beth Brandkamp said...

Who knew there were so many colonies of these white squirrels! Brevard, NC even has a White Squirrel Festival every year (it is in Western NC)!
Too funny!

Gail said...

I think your white squirrel trumps my Sherman Fox Squirrel! The ducks look like an immature stage of Common Eider - but we need more pictures!