Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Oodles of Oldsquaws (Now Known as Long Tailed Ducks)!

Well, I am back in New York again.  I left a little earlier than planned because of the potential of snow up here over the next couple of days and I am only used to nice warm temps and a little rain at this point!!  I got off to a rough start as I had a flat tire before I even got out of Wilmington and had to get a new tire -- luckily I was right next to a very accommodating gas station.  


Even before I got home, I took a quick detour up to Lake Ontario and the outlet where Irondequoit Bay joins the lake.  I wanted to see if there were any birds as there is no ice and I figured it would be pretty vacant.  However, I was pleasantly surprised to see literally hundreds of Oldsquaws.  I did get out of the car and took a few pictures even though I had been on the road for six hours!!


They were swimming rapidly away as they don't particularly like visitors even those just taking their picture!


A closeup of some of the ladies mostly although there are a couple of males in there.


When they couldn't swim away fast enough, they resorted to flying!!  They are quite striking in their winter plummage!


Now to the chore of unpacking and trying to squeeze fabric back into my sewing room.  My one flight of stairs will be a breeze after the beach and it's two steep flights!



No comments: