Thursday, March 1, 2012

GVQC March 2012 Meeting -- Guest Speaker Sue Beevers

Today was the first day I have been back to quilt club since last May!  It was great fun to get back together with everyone and chat.  I got ample opportunity to do this as I assisted Priscilla with her sale of wonderful goodies from around the world -- I even managed to resist buying anything myself!!


This is the quilt pattern that our guest speaker, Sue Beevers, will be teaching tomorrow.  If I hadn't just gotten back, I would definitely be in that class as it looks like great fun!




This is another version of the above quilt -- I love patterns that are so versatile.  You have to look carefully to see the main block.




This was one of my favorites of Sue's "art quilts" (she doesn't like the term) called Bubbles.
I couldn't resist buying several pieces of her fabrics.  She talked a lot about her inspirations and I just loved the fabric -- she designs for Northcott now but several of these pieces are from her time designing for RJR.  I had known her as a fabric painter and have her book, Off the Shelf Painting published some time ago.


Of course we had Show and Tell and this was by Lois Kuh.  Believe it or not, it is a wastepaper basket!!  I am not sure how it stands up but it sure does!!


This is a quilt  done by my friend Beverly Kondolf that will be in the show, Art Quilt Elements in Philadelphia this spring.  She and my friend Marcia both got accepted into this prestigious show!!  You can see why!!


This is a small quilt done by Pat Pauly as part of a challenge proposed by Jeanne Simpson, another quilt club member.  From this smaller piece, Pat developed a larger piece and I just loved them!  Pat uses many of her own dye painted and discharged fabrics.  She will be teaching at the Vermont Quilt Festival this year as well as doing a one woman show in Falmouth, Mass in April -- she will have 40 pieces and if in the area, you should definitely go see it!


I couldn't resist stopping by the Outlet along the way home and seeing my Oldsquaws again.  Here you can see some nice examples of the males with their winter plummage which is much prettier than other times of the year (unlike so many of the other birds).



No comments: