Monday, March 26, 2012

Finishing Up OLD Class Projects

Part of the "decluttering" of my sewing room has been the discovery of many projects that were almost done but not quite.  These were all projects that were started in a class or pre-work before I took a class.  I will admit to being a compulsive finisher though so I decided to tackle several of these that have been floating around for years in some cases.  This water lily is straight out of one of Ruth McDowell's technique books and was done in preparation for taking a class from her in Massachusetts several years ago.  I chose to vary the colors from her original.  It was a good way to get myself used to her piecing techniques.


This was done in a class many, many years ago taught by Annette Ornelas (whose is most known for her dimensional flower technique -- still haven't finished that project!).  Doing this was a great deal of fun and a very different technique.  Again, this was my own design rather than using the one she had provided -- I took the class shortly after my trip to Alaska and this was my interpretation of one of my photos.  Hard to believe, but this was done totally using a "flip and sew" technique -- yes, with curves.  Needless to say, you had all sorts of puckers and fullness when adding pieces after piece.  Her strategy was then to quilt the heck out of it so that the puckers and fullness just become texture.  As you are using a base fabric on which you are applying the "flip and sew" pieces, it stays totally flat.  However, all the quilting makes a piece that has the feeling of a piece of cardboard!!  It was easy to quilt though as you just followed the curves and stitched every 1/8 inch!


This is a closeup showing the quilting.  You don't see any puckers in it though!


I called this one Tree of Life and my intention was to convey a circle with the tree motifs.  This was started in a class with Cynthia Corbin who remains one of my favorite teachers and people I am inspired by.  We created background and then cut and resewed.  My abstracts ALWAYS eventually become representational -- she suggested I just go with it if that's what I like.  I took a very limited pallette with me as I had flown to NC to take the class and stay with my daughter.  These are of course all my hand dyed fabrics which appear again in the Colin quilt.  I made a very bad design decision when selecting the thread to machine quilt this, choosing a variegated grey thread.  I really disliked how it came out, especially the light threads in the dark areas.  Amazing what a black Sharpie will do to cure the problem!  I had colored threads before after projects were done (when you use to light a thread and it shows between two pieces), but had never colored quilting threads.  It worked and I am much happier with the piece now.

4 comments:

knutty knitter said...

Sharpies are just sooooo useful. I have to say I never did like the cardboard effect. I tend to use lots of fusing for my stuff and just quilt the odd bits I think need it. Mind you, most of my actual art stuff is around the 12" mark size wise.

viv in nz

Nia Tilley said...

These are beautiful Beth. I love the close quilting in the landscape, will give that a try.
Was it pieced by putting the right sides together, matching seams and notches in then stitching?Not sure what the 'flip' technique is.
I really love your colour combination in the tree abstract. Really striking. Thank you for sharing these.Nia

Beth Brandkamp said...

Flip and sew is basically laying down a piece of fabric onto a foundation, then putting another piece on, right sides together, then sewing. I didn't do straight pieces but did curved pieces that vague matched the piece I was sewing onto. Just keeping adding strip after strip this way and when you get done, it is all nice and even on the foundation, although there are lots of puffiness and pleats! That's where the quilting comes in!! I rarely fuse as I am just not good at it and like piecing, especially when it is a little complex!!

Mariella said...

Beth, Your quilting is awe inspiring. For this reason I have listed you among 5 other bloggers for the Liebster Award. Check out my blog for the particulars if you are interested. Love everything you do!