Monday, March 19, 2012

Patricia's April 2012 Quilt Show and Signs of Spring

The calendar may not say so, but spring is definitely here in upstate NY where the temps have been anything but winterlike!  I keep telling people I brought the good weather back from NC with me!  Our crocus are really beautiful this year but I fear won't stay for long with the warm temps expected all week -- at least no snow is covering them like many years...


I went to Patricia's spring quilt show on Saturday but had a hard time getting full sized pictures of the quilts.  There were a lot of really nice large quilts as well as some very original smaller quilts -- again, could not get the whole quilt in a picture.  This quilt was spectacular and done by GVQC's own Marty Grasberger -- love her color sense!!


This was a spectacular quilt pieced and quilted by the very, very talented machine long arm quilter Teddy Ahern.  It is too bad you can't see more of the detail of the quilting on this lovely scrap creation.




This was called The Farmer's Wife by Jean Cody.  I always love sampler quilts and this one a very striking one!


There must be a class or a book as this is one of two quilts with similar titles and a similar look -- Omigosh by Beatrice Brown.  The second one is by Fran Wadhams (whose quilts I have featured before).  She lives in Lyons,  NY.  I loved the scrappy nature of these quilts and the small, small blocks.




This Coxcomb quilt is also by Fran Wadhams and is spectacular!!
There were a flurry of Black-Capped Chickadees both in our front yard and at Joe's feeder.  This is the only one that stood still or let me get within 30 feet!  Hadn't realized they had the reddish chests.


A few minutes later, a Pileated Woodpecker was making a mess of Joe's suet.  You can see his head peeking on the side. He also wouldn't let me get anywhere near him and would slip on the other side of the tree anytime I wanted to take his picture.  One of these days.....


Well, just booked reservations to go from Charlotte to Ft. Myers next month for a few days to see the shore birds with some spring plummage at my sister's in Ft. Myers.  Haven't decided yet whether to stay in Charlotte or the beach house while babysitting Lisa's kitties the following few weeks.   

4 comments:

Millie and Walter said...

Hi Beth, That is a white breasted nuthatch. They do have some reddish color on their belly's.

Cindy

Elaine said...

Well if you brought the nice weather back, , then you are due a big THANK YOU from me! I'm just loving this!!

Gail said...

Your Chickadee looks more like a White-breasted Nuthatch, which is why he has a reddish rump. Very cool!!

Beth Brandkamp said...

Oops, seems I misidentified my first bird!! Even looked it up! Thanks Harrispen and sister Gail!