Saturday, October 26, 2013

In Search of the Avocet -- Another Excuse to Head down to Ft. Fisher!

The weather down here has been wonderful -- bright sunny days, very slight breeze and temps in high 60s or low 70s.  I spotted these two immature Ibis in a small pond down by the basin at Ft. Fisher.  One is a lot further along in his change to white feathers.


My dear husband is feeling much better and is out on his kayak enjoying the day.  If it is this nice tomorrow, he will be heading out again!


This is a closeup of the more immature of the ibis.


This one is a lot further along!


I believe this is a common Song Sparrow -- a lot of those down by the Ferry.


This is probably a Palm Warbler although there are a ton of Yellow Rumped Warblers around.
I think this is a Savannah Sparrow as other pictures I took show the stripe over his eye as distinctly yellow.  He was down on the beach and might just be another Song Sparrow -- too close to call!


What really surprised me is that there were different butterflies down in Ft. Fisher today than just a couple of days ago.  I know Monarchs migrate and today I saw multiple Monarchs for the first time down here.  There were nowhere near as many today as there were the other day, and they were a different mix as well.  Very cool!!


I have taken a lot of pictures of Cloudless Sulphurs but this is a Clouded Sulfur!!  I hadn't seen this one before.


And this one was also new to me -- a Sleepy Orange.


The American Lady finally decided to show here colors on top as well.  There were a number of these both at the Ferry and down parking lot at Ft. Fisher.



This is the underneath view of the above butterfly -- how different it looks!!
I noticed this very orange looking sulphur and I believe it is an Orange Sulphur.  I saw more of these down at Ft. Fisher but this was on my neighbor's beautiful flowers.

But alas, there was no Avocet down there today.  There are so many people around on the weekend, he may just be in hiding somewhere -- let's hope he hasn't left yet as it looks like a beautiful bird that I haven't seen.  

The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher is still hanging out by the ferry drawing a new group of birders today.


Last, but certainly not least, was this female Bluebird hanging out with the Phoebes and Yellow Rumped Warblers.

2 comments:

Gail said...

Beth, I get confused all the time with the Palm, Pine and Yellow-rumped Warblers. We have all three and they are even harder to recognize in the Fall. But...I THINK your picture is a Palm Warbler (Western) as the yellow is UNDER the tail. On the Yellow-rumped Warbler, the yellow is on TOP of the tail. I know I've mis-identified them before - so do some research and let me know what you think.

Beth Brandkamp said...

I agree with you! Think I just labelled too fast. Had seen another Palm Warbler earlier but there are soooooo many Yellow Rumps around here!