Saturday, October 18, 2008

I am a Fabriholic.....

Isn't this the first step to recovery? Although not previously announced on my blog, I will be a first time grandmother (I know, I know my profile says that my children haven't had any children to distract me) and OF COURSE am making a quilt for the new arrival (March). With some luck, it will be done by his or her second or third birthday. What does this have to do with being a fabriholic? Well, I have collected novelty prints since the early 70's when all you could get was poly/cotton. These were all for those baby quilts or children's quilts that I would someday make.

About four years ago I had a MASSIVE garage sale and sold 90 Large boxes of fabric (gave away anything that I didn't sell). I didn't offer up any of this novelty fabric and it has lanquished in its boxes every since, occasionally being added to from current "can't live without" fabrics. Well, TODAY was the day to go through my own stash to find prints for the quilt for my grandchild to be!

Oh my..... I used to buy large quantities of fabrics I really liked -- just in case they stopped manufacturing fabrics, you know.... Well, I must have somewhere between 500 and 1000 novelty prints and lots of it in multiple yards... It really paints a picture of my particular interests as well... I mean, how many people do you know that own three pelican prints (probably close to 15 yards altogether)? Or 200 different kitty prints? Or 30 different fabrics with seashells on it?

Now, I don't know how many of you have ever been to a very BAD website called http://www.thousandsofbolts.com but don't go there as they have wonderful and very cheap quilting cottons. It is a very bad place for us fabriholics to go. I have no connection to them whatsoever except an unfortunate very satisfied customer feeding her addiction. I figure if enough people know about it, they will buy up all the nice fabric and I will save a bundle every year.

Another wonderful place for those addicted to good fabric but cheap prices is http://www.maryjos.com. It has only been recently that they have a web presence but many of you probably have wished you could go to this wonderful store in Gastonia, NC. They are not as cheap as the above store, but they are filled with bargain fabric and a good selection.

Of course there is always Hancocks of Paducah(http://www.hancocks-paducah.com) where occasionally I find some great fabrics at greatly reduced prices (like Kaffe Fassett fabrics). Anyone who has ever been to Paducah knows this fabric store and how much time (and money)you can spend there!

Well, had to state my particular addiction as part of my steps to recovery. Eventually, I will cut quarter yard pieces of most of these novelty fabrics and sell the rest on ebay or at quilt club, keeping only the ones that I cannot live without (my pelicans).

1 comment:

Bethel of Bethania said...

Ohh Beth I used? to have that fabricholic addiction & I disposed myself of hundreds of metres of fabric about 6 years ago [when we moved house] & vowed not to excede the limit again so now I only buy 30 - 50 centmitres of fabric at a time but I'm still pleased to have my addiction so shhh... I'm NOT admitting to it at all... ha ha
Congratulations on your forthcoming Grandie - they are the most wonderful thing in life I believe.
OOroo ... Bethel of Bethania