Friday, October 10, 2008

It's Not Over Til It's Over


A very busy day today trying to get ready for a sale at quilt club next week! Yesterday dear husband and I filled the back of the van with a deceased friend's quilt stash of fabric, books and "stuff". I have spent quite a bit of time today trying to come up with prices for much of it. She was a relatively new quilter but she had lots of gadgets and stuff, much still in its original wrappers with the original prices. Her husband was pretty clueless about what she had and was afraid to even touch her sewing machine. I finally have all the pieces together of that including the original sales slip! It will be a real bargain for whoever gets it! It is a Bernina 165 with the embroidery unit and all the attachments etc. It has hardly been used. If I didn't have pretty much the same model, I would definitely buy it and may still as a second machine!
It is so obvious to me how much I was inspired by Yellowstone Park as I think I am just duplicating the imagery I saw there over and over again with all these compressed marbled pieces!


Well, despite all that, I did manage to do a little more marbling and tried something different (of course!). I have been playing a lot with the compression of the marbled paints so today I came upon some plastic needlepoint canvas which looks like it has about 5 holes/inch. I cut it real close to the edge of one of the holes and I am using it to compress/comb the size -- very cool. It is certainly nothing like a traditional comb but also different from the flat edge you use during the regular compression. It did give a different look which I really like. You can see it most prominently in the above piece which didn't have a lot of color on it. So now I am on the prowl for other things I can use. I also have another weird thing I am going to try as soon as I find appropriate "stuff" down in the mess in the basement -- I know it is there!


I think it is time to switch to a new size as you can see the chalkiness coming out on this one but I like it anyway!


1 comment:

Fulvia said...

Beth,

these last 2 pieces in particular remind me of Van Gogh brush strokes -- lovely!

About the machine sale, etc., would you drop me a note with details and prices, please? Thanks so much.