Thursday, October 23, 2008

Many M's -- Marcia's and More Marbling


We still have roses in the garden despite the little bit of snow that was flying for a couple of days (nothing sticking). There have been years where we have had roses through December even here in snowy upstate NY.


Well, it has been a hectic nine days where we have gone from house offer to final mortgage commitments -- our mortgage broker said she set a new personal record with a nine day window! Of course my dear daughter and business partner said "nah, nah, nanah, nah" because I had said we could never get done before the end of the month! So next Thursday I head to NC and Friday we close and I get to spend our first night in the new house!!



I have done a bit of marbling the other day using a totally different pallette -- all browns with a little yellow tossed in for good luck. It isn't dark enough to use as background in my new pictoral piece but I like it and it will find a use!! Also the second prints were very pale neutrals which you can never have enough of!!

Just some of the marbled browns I was doing.



This is one of the many hibiscus very happy in their new kitchen jungle where it is a little warmer than outside!

This is the yearly kitchen jungle. Warren constructed a framework using pvc pipe and puts grow lights on top so we have our own little greenhouse in the kitchen.




This is the beginnings of Marcia's "orange" jacket. The top is a mola and the bottom is beautifully pieced stripes.

Yesterday I spent with Marcia and Priscilla and got really charging on the Bird of Paradise piece that I had laid out before the Ruth McDowell class. I used curves in this one and decided I would use some wild Kaffe Fassett fabrics in the background. The original was done using machine applique but I had always wanted to repeat it using piecing. I am liking this one much better so far!!




This was the bird of paradise piece where I was auditioning fabrics. I made several substitutions along the way before deciding that this area looked okay.







By the end of the day, I actually had sewn together all the sections I had put together during the day which was pretty amazing. It is always a surprise how fast this stage goes if you have done all the marking of the pieces.

This is the back of Priscilla's Koos jacket. She has already made it her own by adding some additional embellishment (and didn't we know that was going to happen!) You MUST check her blog for the pictures of her with the tigers!! The link is in my favorite links.

No comments: