Wednesday, October 1, 2008

More from the Mad Marbler



More marbling but what did you expect! I am running out of prepared fabric again so will have to do some more prep and the weather has not been cooperating at all and hanging any kind of yardage in the basement is really not an option (although if I can get it partially dry outside, it is okay).


Anyway, more of the same but I started moving toward the browns and a couple of the pieces look really yucky which isn't too much of a surprise. I did dump in a bunch more fresh methylcel as well as it was getting low again. Still haven't used any surfactant and have relied on using the more aggressive paints to perk up the less aggressive ones. Have gotten some great second strikes from the same size so that has been fun. Also played with modifying my compression style a little bit today and really liked the results although the color was a little muddy -- the theory seemed to work!

You can see the muddied up prints in these next two but there are retrievable portions and they are much easier to cut up!




These next two were second prints taken from the same size as the muddier prints and I like what is going on here. Double click on the image to see more detail.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

Imeant to ask yesterday where you learned your technique. From a class or a book? Whatever it is, I NEED it!

Beth Brandkamp said...

I have taken marbling classes from Judy Simmons (many years ago) and from Elin Noble most recently. She touched upon what she called the "push and pull" technique but don't think anyone used it in the class (it is very hard to destroy a surface you have spent 15 minutes creating and hope for the best). When I got hope, I had some awful size that was just so ugly as stones that I tried the technique and loved what I got. So, about 20 yards later, I am beginning to develop my own versions of this. Elin Noble teaches a fantastic class on Contemporary (or Alternative) Marbling and I highly recommend the class and her as a teacher. She is easily one of the best and extremely likable as well.