Monday, June 8, 2009

2009 Genesee Valley Garden of Quilts Festival



If you double click on the above slide show, you can go and see the slide show in full screen rather than the small ones. There were over 700 quilts and the first 20 pictures are of the show as a whole. I only took pictures of about 250 as many had appeared in my blogs before!

Well, the show was a rousing success and I did my own judging of the different categories and added a few new categories of my own!!! Unlike in the past where we had viewers' choice awards, this year we had 4 guild presidents from around New York as the judges. There were so many hard choices to make as there were many exceptional quilts and some categories had over 200 quilts in them and only 8 prizes for each category. I, of course, did not get any (but don't worry I may award myself an honorable mention in one category as modesty has never been my strong suit). I will also create some new and exciting categories for judging as well (and it is just possible I will win one of those too)!!

Today, however, I will just include some pictures from the show and a link to my Picasa album which will have a HUGE number of photos of individual quilts from this show for those of you who didn't have the opportunity to visit. It is best to double click on some of these to see the details. There were so many stunning quilts in this show, I didn't begin to capture all of them!
This is looking down onto the quilt floor from the balcony of the Field House.

I have always loved doing the Stack and Whacks and there were some superb examples of this and the One Block Wonders (a variation of the technique), so I of course took pictures of most of these. This was a lovely setting with the center stars of what looks like a carpenter's wheel to me.



This was a quilt that won best of show and it will win best of show in my categorization as well. It was a stunning Baltimore Album style that took Shirley four years to make. It is the pattern "Little Brown Bird" and there are birds in most of the appliques.



This was part of our vintage quilt exhibit and is a quilt done by our second Club President Lena Mae Cook. This was not her favorite of the quilts she did though, according to her granddaughter who was at the exhibit. This quilt is stunning!

Another view of the floor of the quilt show looking into the pieced quilts of which there were over 200 full sized quilts! Our raffle quilt is in the foreground. The raffle will go until October 8 when the winner will be named!

1 comment:

Fulvia said...

Thank you, Beth, for the opportunity to see, from afar, such a huge amount of fantastic work. What a treat!