Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Monday Molas and Tuesday Treasures!

Monday was a fun lunch at Priscilla's, getting to see the hundreds of molas she brought back from Panama on her latest trip. She said that she saw far fewer on this trip and had to work to get a stash to bring back -- her molas are always big sellers and she offers them so reasonably compared to the going rates on ebay and other sellers. I was very controlled this time although she probably had a better assortment than ever!! I couldn't resist a couple of special large ones and several small ones -- I was focusing on getting birds or fish that were facing left instead of right!! It is always a treat to see the ones that she keeps as well!!! She will be selling them at our RAFA meeting on Thursday so I may just.....



These are several of the small molas or appliques that I got.

The above molas were all quite small (about 7 in square) while this next bunch was the next "larger" size and were about 12 x 18 inches.

This first one is my very favorite and you should double click to see it more clearly. It is lots of spiders and exquisite workmanship. Just had to have it!

This second one was very unusual and Priscilla thinks that it may be indicative of a new trend. It is actually the reverse applique done on top of a printed piece of fabric. The base fabric is white with big black swirls. They somehow cut out so carefully that there is just a slight outline of the black swirl showing and looks like it is another layer of reverse applique but it isn't. I loved it! Their workmanship is incredible. On some of these pieces there is probably 30-40 stitches to the inch to tack down the appliques. The only thing I have seen close is some of the quilts from the early 1800s in the US that were at the Rochester Museum and Science Center (where we were documenting their collection).

This was an interesting geometric that caught my eye!







I just had to have these iguanas!


Anyway, I was back marbling today. The morning started pretty gloomy which inspired me to work in bright brights -- primary pallette which I almost never do -- my favorite pallette is secondary colors of orange, green and purple. Primary just seemed right today though. As the day cleared though, I switched to earthtones again -- using up all my prepared white fabric and all but about two pieces of the "uglies". The weather has not been cooperating at all as it has been raining every day and is supposed to for the rest of the week. So alum-ing more fabric will have to wait and I will have to get back to some sewing.



Just my basic blue and lavender pallette which I switched to after a few of the bright primaries!

How is this for July 4th!

This was an interesting exercise although not a very pretty piece. It shows what happens when you keep adding color just in the middle so there is more space on the outer perimeters for the paints to expand. The surface tension was different all over and I may play some more with this effect. Does give a feeling of depth.

Just another of the stripey primary pieces.



Again, fireworks in preparation for July 4th!
I will have to wait for the sun to come out before I can take pictures of some of the second bunch I did today. I have some Seminole strips that I made a LONG time ago that are in red, yellow and blue pallette so these pieces will probably end up with those in another jacket somewhere along the way!

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!! I have a couple of mola's, one that I used in a vest and several really small ones that I haven't decided what to do with.

Your marbeling is very impressive. That and sibori dyeing are on my list to learn once I become a bit more proficient in "plain" old dyeing.

Have a great day! Hugs!!