Another day of trying to do the smaller pieces with a lot of changed variables this time. I worked primarily with the 22" x 22" pieces as I thought these would be more manageable to use in a bigger piece. The main variable that was changed this time was the amount of time these sat before I nuked them -- 36 hours as opposed to the 6 or so hours that I usually use. Usually I remove the ice before nuking them as the dye has hit already and there is nothing but clear ice left (usually just a few pieces). I got very intense colors and I know I didn't use any more dye than usual -- probably less as a matter of a fact. I usually only layer the ice very shallowly (I think most people use a lot more than I do). This was probably my favorite piece.
You can see that I used the same colors again -- intense blue, blue violet and strongest red as well as some very very old lemon yellow which I don't use anymore. I have been trying to get rid of some of my oldest dyes doing the snow dyeing. This was definitely a primary colors palette.
Like a true kaleidoscope, you never know how the splashes of color will arrange themselves!
As before, most of the pieces were folded into hexagon shapes but I decided to try a couple of eight sided figures as well this time. This was the more successful one.
I liked this one except for the very center where there is obviously more color on one side. Perhaps I will cut this one into pieces and rearrange so that at least the darker pieces are opposite one another!! This is also an eight-sided piece.
I purposely made this one way off center to see if it would make a good stand alone piece and it is moderately successful I think!