Saturday, June 3, 2017

Genesee Valley 2017 Quiltfest -- Part 2 -- Large Quilts

These are some of my favorites of the large quilts (that I saw).  I am going back tomorrow and may add some more that I didn't see or notice the first time through!!

Loved these owls by Audrey Andrus and Pam Keefe.  


 These next three were all very similar and all gorgeous.  I believe the woman who designs these patterns taught locally a couple of years ago.  The top one is by Charlotte Winkelhauer.  The second one is by Mary Christopher and Kim Werth.  The third is by Diane Dixon.









Gail Hyde and Patty Cline.




This quilt is by Nick Williams who does a lot of long arm quilting.


This is a closeup which shows some of the wonderful machine quilting.  This show had many many examples of fantastic machine quilting, some long arm and some individual -- amazing how far we have come from the first shows I saw where machine quilting was looked down on (and for good reason in many cases!!).






Like the colors particularly in this one as well as the marriage of the applique and piecing.  This one is by Judith Laurini who can always be counted on to do beautiful work.


This blue and white beauty is by Judy Harbison -- gorgeous.


Another blue and white - this one by Lynn Kulzer.


And a Hawaiian applique -- seem to be stuck on these beautiful blue and white quilts. I don't know who did this one either.


Martha Mosher and Debbie Tribble.



Jewell Morgan and Marilee MacWilliams
Another one by Nick Williams.  Beautiful!!



Rita Straubhaar..  Gorgeous!!


Another wonderful use of color in these tulips.  I don't know the quilter for this one either but think it is Norma Barnes
This one is beautifully done and by Ruth Ohol who had many winners in the show!!.


Again I don't know who did this one but it was amazing -- those are appliques, not printed fabrics!!



Had to add two of my three big quilts in this group.  This one is called Disappearing Hexagons.

I managed to get enough quilting done so that it could be hung but it was a comedy of misfortunes.  

I  had saved this quilt to be done here at home in the month before the quilt show.  Well, ended up because of sickness and a daughter's move spending an extra two weeks south.  Still not impossible but after stitching one row in the ditch, my very dependable Bernina decided to give me an error message after every stitch and refusing to proceed further.  My backup machines are of course in NC.  I went to my wonderful dealer in Penn Yan NY and they fixed the problem in ten minutes.  It was worth the 1 1/2 hour drive each way.  And I managed to get it mostly quilted!!!


This I called the Petal Quilt and was from a published pattern.  I gave the pattern away as soon as I finished it.  There are soooooo many color versions of the plain colored blocks.  Of course I did the color organization quite a bit differently than what the pattern called for.  Each center is a "stack and whack" kind of block with only four repeats -- obviously why I bought the pattern to begin with.  It was hard to put together and really required the design wall.  I quilted the heck out of it.




No comments: