Thursday, May 17, 2018

Mushroom Stack and Whack Done and on to Number 2!

I ended up with 70 sets of hexagons which I calculate should make three good sized quilts.  This one uses 24 and will be about 42 x 60 finished.  Deciding what to do in the background was tricky.  I had originally thought natural muslin color.  I searched through all my greens and couldn't find anything that was yellow enough.  Finally I found a light green that is okay.

Here it is with the light green.

I ended up raiding my give-away stash for what looks like a green so dark, it looks like grey.  The first border was more of the background green, then this very dark dull green and then a maroon/dk brown batik I found in my stash.  I thought it was a perfect match.

This is  my second set started and of course I will do something slightly differently.  Originally I decided I would use more of the light green.  However, I decided to try something different just for variety.

I really think I like this background.  This is the dark green I used in the border of the other quilt.  I haven't quite decided what configuration to use yet.  I get bored really easily!  I think that is why I like these stack and whacks as the construction is fairly easy, uses only a couple of fabrics but everything is different and I love radial symmetry as you can see if you have seen my ice dyed mandalas!!  

A friend got me started making stack and whack  quilts probably 15 to 20 years ago and I have probably made over 30 over the years.  Now that I am making them for charity, I have an excuse to do something that doesn't require a lot of thinking and get rid of fabric at the same time.  My first weeks here in NY are filled with doctor and dental appointments and definitely no time for anything mental.  Hopefully, once I get cataract surgery out of the way, I will feel a bit more creative.  I didn't even bring my dyes and paints back here with me this year as I wanted to concentrate on getting rid of things not creating more!

No comments: