Sunday, May 13, 2018

Spring has Sprung and Stack and Whack Fever!!

I  came back from NC and it snowed on the way back and had snowed the morning I arrived (although I got there in the afternoon).  Two days later it was 85 and a couple of days after that our Saucer Magnolia went from no buds even on Sunday to full bloom by Friday!  Same with everything else in the yard.

This was the Star Magnolias we have had forever.

The Trillium peaked out as well.

Here are both red and white Trillium in my next door neighbor's yard.  We have fairly wooded backyards.

Trillium!

Welll, I decided that I would participate in my Wilmington quilt guild's mystery quilt.  They started the first month with fabric requirements and cutting instructions.  This was my initial thought about what I would use but changed my mind.  I figured if it looked too bright to me with my bad cataracts, I would need sunglasses to work on it, once the cataracts are removed!!  So I took out the oranges and added ivories/whites/beige.  So it will be purple/yellow/green/white.  It was supposed to have contrast between colors that are next to each other.  As I am using scraps (of course), I have been cutting for days and probably have enough for two quilts now!!

I discovered an unfinished stack and whack in my bookcase and will add that to the stack and whack "to be done or finished" pile

These are the blocks already made from the above fabric.  There are a few cut out that haven't been sewn together yet.  

This and the next three are all fabrics that I ave cut into 60 degree triangles for more stack and whacks (all to be donated).






There was actually enough of this one to make an 8 pointed stack and whack -- a kaleidoscope block.  I found a nice green for the corners.

I found this wild Robert Kaufman mushroom print in my stash with a 23 inch repeat so will have lots of blocks from this one. I realize now it has orange, green and purple which is my favorite color combination 

I cut up all the equilateral triangles today and played with the different orientations for several of them.  What you put in the center makes a real difference.  Each set of three pictured here are the same triangles.  It is one of the fun things about using these 60 degree triangles!




Many times I am surprised that my first choice isn't the one I pick for orientation.  I have 70 sets of this particular fabric so LOTS of blocks.

No comments: