Friday, July 6, 2018

A New Version for the Veggies

I took the other half of the veggie fabric (when doing stack and whacks, you usually rip the fabric down the middle so you are only dealing with the 22 inch width  The first half was cut into 3 1/4 inch triangles and these are 5 inch triangles.  They are a little more imposing.  I was looking at these first blocks and saw those big spaces between them and thought hmmmm....

I had 33 of the smaller octagons left over and decided it would be interesting to intersperse them with the big ones.  I did like the look  the smaller ones work into 6 inch squares and the larger ones work into 9 inch squares so I added 2 inch strips around the 6 inch squares.

I also decided to use most of the larger squares and make a big quilt that I would keep.  I figure I could add borders to make it big enough for a queen or king sized bed -- the only kind I have anymore.

I sewed them altogether and it measures about 60 inches by 60 inches currently.  I am going to add an additional off white border (same fabric) and then two more borders so that it will be about 72 x 72 when done.  Not enough to drape over a king bed but will cover it.

Not done yet but will have about 2 additional inches of the white, one inch of the red/orange and 3 inches of the veggie fabric.  Onward to tomorrow to cut and sew!

I had two large octagons and 16 small octagons left over so they will be a small quilt and then there will be one small block left over!  This will be a giveaway one.  My daughter has already claimed the one with the orange and green cornerstones I posted in the last blog!

1 comment:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Yes, love the small interspersed with the larger ones in these pretty and interesting fabrics. Well Done!