Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Still More but Slowing Down...

I eventually will  learn what key I hit that causes everything to disappear that I spent 15 minutes typing.
This is the beginning of a vegetable stack and whack.  I have had this fabric for years and made a quilt out of it probably 20 years ago -- the only quilt I have ever sold!!  I decided it was time to use the rest of the fabric which was enough to make these smaller 8 sided kaleidoscopes -- 51 in all and also to make larger 5 inch triangles which resulted in 27 motifs.  I wanted to do a different setting for these 6 inch (5 1/2 inch finished) blocks so decided to set them on point and 18 would make a nice sized quilt top.


This is the fabric which has a 16 inch repeat.  The above motifs used a 3 1/4 inch triangle.


Here I am testing my idea for filling in the sides and the sashing between the blocks.  I initially decided to use orange for all the cornerstones, figuring red would make it look  like a Christmas quilt.


I decided that all orange was too much so alternated it with the green for the cornerstones.


Almost done!



I finally finished this quilt top and kind of like it.  It is about 45 x 57 inches.  I have decided not to add any more borders and will probably use a dark green for binding.  I don't have enough of either the orange or green.



I decided to take a break from the kaleidoscope quilts and work on our club's mystery quilt.  The first month's clue was the cutting directions.  The second month resulted in "flying geese" using the shortcut technique.  The July clue resulted in these "square in a square".  You can see that I decided to go scrappy (what a surprise!!).  I originally had orange instead of the off white but was afraid that somehow it would end up too bright as I didn't know what the proportion of the colors would be and yellow and orange go a LONG way!.  It will be interesting to see what everyone does.  I still have to press and trim up the square in a square but will be good until August!


2 comments:

Claire said...

I'm not usually a big fan of stack and whack but your last one is beautiful. The cornerstones really makes it pop.

Sandy said...

The vegetable hexagons arranged that way, and with orange and green, make what looks like a very fun quilt! The white sets them off nicely.